All you need to know about keeping your child’s teeth strong and healthy.
- Fluoride helps keep teeth strong and fights decay. Encourage (and help) your child to brush their teeth twice a day using Fluoride toothpaste. Do this especially before putting them to bed! If your child finds it difficult to spit out all the toothpaste, start them off with a children’s toothpaste – this contains half the amount of Fluoride. Once they can spit all the toothpaste, use normal toothpaste with full Fluoride quantities to strengthen and protect their teeth.
- Drink tap water – it contains Fluoride which will strengthen enamel as their adult teeth develop. Filters often remove Fluoride, so be sure to check with the manufacturers.
- Provide healthy snacks in between meals. Try cheese, fruit, yoghurt, or veggie sticks. Minimise sugary and sticky foods – leave these for special treats.
- Don’t leave your child’s bottle in their mouth overnight, or for a prolonged time. Constant sipping of milk or juice increases the risk of tooth decay.
- Remember – baby teeth are still important! They maintain the space for adult teeth to grow straight. Losing these teeth early due to decay can cause pain, or crooked teeth later.
- Dental sealants help prevent cavities – your dentist can place a resin seal over your child’s permanent molars to protect them.
Contact us now to learn more about protecting your child’s teeth, and promoting healthy adult teeth.